Wednesday 11 November 2015

The Dressmaker's Kate Winslet says more female film directors would be 'amazing'

Oscar-winning actress Kate Winslet has said it would be "amazing" if more women directed films.

But the 40-year-old star admitted she has no plans to take the director's seat herself as she attended a special screening of her new film, The Dressmaker, at the Mayfair Hotel in London.

She said: "I don't know. It is something that has not particularly occurred to me."

Australian filmmaker Jocelyn Moorhouse directed the 1950s comedy drama, in which Winslet plays Tilly Dunnage, an Australian fashion designer who returns home to right the wrongs of her past.

The actress and mother-of-three continued: "I admire directors so much because they take on a great deal. It's not just about the actors, it's about the whole look of the film and dealing with so many people that you have to function with every single day. It's a big old job and I admire Jocelyn who has four children of her own and somehow she seems perfectly calm, together and never seems flustered.

"I'm not sure that I could remain that calm if I was a director. I think I would find it really stressful."

Winslet said she would like to see more women making movies.

"That would be amazing. I don't know why there aren't more female directors.

"But I don't have the answers to any of these big questions I'm being asked a lot at the moment.


Press Association.
Full story at Yahoo News.

No comments:

Post a Comment