Friday 13 November 2015

Serbian player back on basketball court after losing her leg.

Met by cheers and a standing ovation from supporters, a professional Serbian basketball player has made an extraordinary comeback to the court -- two years after losing her leg in a bus crash.

Wearing a prosthetic limb under black leggings, 21-year-old Natasa Kovacevic scored five points towards Wednesday night's victory by Red Star Belgrade, the club with which she began her career, in a return to the game that she described as "sublime".

Many had believed Kovacevic's exemplary career was over when she was caught up in a deadly accident in September 2013 while travelling with her Hungarian club, Gyor.

The club's coach and general manager were killed, while seriously injured Kovacevic had to have her leg amputated.

But 26 months later, she has shown a level of resilience that even her rivals applaud.

"I am overwhelmed to be back, the feeling on the ground was sublime. I feel as if I never left, as if two years has not gone by," a smiling Kovacevic said after her team beat southern Serbian side Student Nis by 78-47.

"I need to improve my fitness, if I'm honest I lost my breath a little, but I will work and it will come," she said.

Spectators pointed out that what she lacked through her disability, Kovacevic made up for with her experience in the game, despite her young age.



By Jovan Matic.
Full story at Yahoo News.

No comments:

Post a Comment